SORRY NOW SOLD – SIMILAR WANTED
A never ridden Raleigh Beano Chopper Limited Edition, 1 of 400 made worldwide
• Frame: Aluminium alloy tubing frame.
• Frame design: Unique Beano Limited Edition detailing.
• Handlebars: High rise ‘ape hanger’ handlebars
• Gears: 6-speed Shimano Revoshift derailleur gears.
• Brakes: Aluminium V-brakes with aluminium/resin brake levers.
• Wheels: Aluminium red and black rims with bobbed cruiser style mudguards
• Tyres: Classic 16″ front, 20″ rear motorbike styled Chopper tyres
• Tyre specification: Red 16 x 2.125 front and Black 20 x 2.125 rear.
• Seat: Conventional seat with separate backrest and rear hoop ‘sissy bar’.
• Seat Post: Aluminium micro adjust seat post in satin black.
• Accessories: Front and rear reflectors, derailleur guard, chain guard, red and black brake cable sheaths, bell, aluminium kickstand
The Raleigh Chopper, although an icon of the 1970’s and where it saw the majority of its phenomenal success, was first launched in 1969 by the Raleigh Bicycle Company in Nottingham, England. The bikes design was influenced by dragsters, chopped motorcycles and beach buggies and it quickly became a cultural icon, especially among young people. Throughout the evolution of the Chopper from the Mark 1 to the Mark 5, the essence of the design has changed very little, but certain safety flaws linked to the Mark 1 and 2 had to be overcome following negative press in the 1970’s where it was in some cases labelled as a dangerous toy! These included the tendency for the bike to perform involuntary ‘wheelies’ particularly when giving a friend a ‘backie’ on the long padded high-back seat and also the groin catching T-Bar frame mounted gear lever. Thankfully after an absence of almost 25 years the Chopper was relaunched with a more conventional seat to deter the offering of ‘backies’ and re-siting of the gear lever to the handlebar, a more personal equipment friendly location! Whilst the original Choppers have gained highly collectable status and soaring prices, the limited-edition releases are extremely sought after among collectors.
Fully assembled but never ridden, this very rare official UK Raleigh Beano Chopper Limited Edition represents a perfect collector’s item for Chopper fans all over the world. The Beano livery is wonderfully intricate and the attention to detail is fascinating with all the familiar characters featured. Dennis the Menaces famous red and black striped jumper is mimicked in the red and black stripy seat, red and black brake cable sheaths and red front and black rear wheel with reverse colour co-ordinated tyres. Commensurate with the bike’s unridden credentials, this Raleigh Beano Chopper Limited Edition is as new. The ultimate show piece.
Modern specification separates this Chopper from its earlier Mark 1 and 2 brethren with 6-speed Shimano Revoshift derailleur gears controlled by a grip shift, aluminium V-brakes
and aluminium rims. Whilst unused the bike has been fully built to be ridden, should the purchaser require, by the current owner who is proprietor of an established cycle repair shop. He has amassed a very rare collection of mainly Raleigh Chopper’s and Raleigh BMX Burner’s based on his experience of working in the industry for over 40 years. The handbook and owners guide along with the Raleigh multi-hex spanner and Allan key are present.
Celebrating the famous Chopper phenomenon that singlehandedly saved a struggling Raleigh in the 1970’s, this Beano Chopper Limited Edition is one of only 1 of 400 made and is very highly prized.